Advantages for the Consumer.:
• More transparency and convenience when purchasing music with DR label;
• Music with a higher DR fulfills requirements for conversion to mp3 and other data compression formats without artifacts and distortion. Distortion resulting from interleaved sample overs is no longer a problem;
• Listening to music is once again enjoyable.
Advantages for musicians, producers, and engineers.:
• More expressive possibilities through more dynamics;
• Increased sales of music through increased value;
• More enjoyable working conditions for mastering engineers because music is no longer mastered to death through customers’ demands. Instead, the engineer has a determined amount of creative leeway. Employing high-end audio equipment once again becomes attractive, since analog technology is often not usable in over-mastered production processes.
Advantages for the recording industry.:
• The recording industry wins in two ways: the value of music increases in the eyes of consumers thanks to a standard, and the condition for intelligently using a new high-definition standard based on Blue-ray will be met. What is the use of a high-definition audio format when music is only played in the first 6dB of the entire dynamic range available? Without a standard, a high-definition format would never have any real benefits;
• New markets with an HD format based on Blu-ray through consumer awareness of increased quality
Advantages for manufacturers of professional audio equipment.:
• Professional audio technology provides a much greater benefit when used with dynamic music – it’s also more satisfying to work with. These factors will certainly be positive for the high-end audio equipment market.
Advantages for manufacturers of consumer electronics and automobile hi-fi.:
• The merging of sound and image in central home entertainment technology can only be accomplished with a standard. Have you ever listened to a typical contemporary over-mastered CD in your home DVD player after having watched an action film at a loud volume? With up to four times the loudness of the film sound track, the CD blares out of your speakers if you forgot to turn the volume way down beforehand. Has that ever happened to you when switching between various DVDs? Of course not! With cinema (and DVD film) sound, the Dolby standard works wonders.
• More dynamic music creates new markets for compression circuitry for automobile hi-fi devices based on ambient-noise-dependent compression. Strongly compressed music is then advantageous when it is heard in a loud environment.
Advantages for radio stations.:
• Radio stations in Europe play mp3 files which generally are converted without any level reduction – probably as a result of lack of understanding of digital level behavior. Even more distortion resulting from sample overs on over-compressed CDs – LPCM files – is generated during this conversion process. To add insult to injury, when broadcast, the digital signal undergoes a chain of processing which includes a multi-band compressor, making the music ultimately intolerable. Older recordings – which are more dynamic – are previously put through batch processing which includes a loudness maximizer so that the result is as over-compressed as contemporary releases. Although reason cannot be dictated, having a standard at least provides the conditions necessary so that radio broadcasts can have the same loudness level AND still have a good sound.
The information presented in this article was taken from the Website of Plesurize Music Foundation